Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Petty Grumble #1

This will hopefully become a series.
Today's grumble: JJB Sports.
I need some new trainers. I even managed to pry some money out of my parents to get some. Today, after uni, I went into JJB to buy some trainers. After sitting around for half an hour trying on a few of the pairs that were in the stacks of boxes (not the ones actually 'on display' you're not allowed to try those) and failing to find a single member of staff to help me. JJB either doesn't employ staff, or deliberately disguises them as customers so that the real customers won't approach them.
Three people sudenly appear and their attention is snapped up by a woman in a baby-pink tracksuit and a schoolboy in a shirt undone (by at least 2 buttons) at the neck and no tie (shock, horror). Finally, open-shirt seems satisified and moves off with his mother in tow to pay for the trainers and I attempt to subtley catch the eye of the assistant now departing with the other pair of trainers that open-shirt tried. Subtletey doesn't work with the minimum-wage slaves at JJB.
So, I explicitly ask the obviously apathetic member of staff in two huge hoop earings and a neckless that have both clearly come from the bargain bin at Chavs 'R' Us. "Have you got any Silver Shadows in size nine?" I ask, motioning towards the area of the shelf where is situated a trainer with "Silver Shadow" emblazoned across the side. I just recieve a blank look and realise that I'll have to try again, "these things" I say, pointing directly to the shoe in question.
"oh, er, I'll have a look" she says with a suprised tone. I don't know what she's suprised about. The fact that someone wants to buy a pair of trainers (wouldn't think that would be a suprise to a member of staff in the shoe department of a sports store, but you never know), the fact that a porky blob like me wants to buy a pair of trainers, or the fact that interest has been shown in a pair of silver saddos, a style of trainer at least four years old (I know because I had a pair about four years ago).
So, after sitting around for a good five minutes waiting for her to come back, she finally appears at the other end of the store, mouths "we haven't got any" to me, then turns around and walks away. Clearly the induction training at JJB does not teach the staff that people who come in and express interest in buying a pair of trainers probably want to buy some trainers. So, without a member of staff nearby to help me and still no closer to finding a pair of trainers than when I came in, I left. Without trainers and with fourty minutes of my day missing.

Grumble

No comments: